Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mimi's Cafe - A wonderful dining experience

Mimi's is part of a national chain, though by the service and food, you would think it was a local restaurant. My wife and I took her mother out for a "belated" Mother's Day dinner. Mom chose this restaurant "just because". Good choice Mom!

When we arrived we were promptly seated and out server, Britt, came over and asked if we had ever been in the restaurant before. We said we had not. She offered to explain the menu, which was quite extensive, and did so in an easy to understand manner. She explained the specials and the signature dishes along with the rest of the menu items. They offer a variety of dishes. Pasta, seafood, sandwiches, “comfort” foods, salads, and more!

One thing that struck me the most was the décor. There was a mixture of Italian and French. Okay, now I am confused. Is this an Italian restaurant, or a French Bistro? Despite the surroundings, (which were quite nice despite the mixture), the food was excellent. My wife and Mom-in-law chose the broiled salmon with asparagus and mashed potatoes. I chose the shrimp piccata fettuccine, with mushrooms, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes in a creamy lemon caper sauce! It was wonderful!

This was all part of a three course meal, the first part being salad or soup. I had a Caesar salad, my wife the house, and Mom had vegetable soup, homemade. We ended with our deserts. I had a bread pudding in a whiskey butter sauce with fresh whipped cream, my wife had an apple cinnamon crisp, and Mom had a raspberry mousse. It was all wonderful. (There was nothing left of any of the deserts!) As we were getting ready to leave, and our server brought back our credit card, she handed us a container with four delicious looking muffins in it. She said they were complimentary and we should enjoy them. Wow! How often does that happen? All in all a wonderful dining experience.

1 comment:

  1. i found out about this restaurant less than couple of years ago when i was googling for my own cooking blog and i found Mimi's Cafe on top of the search list. i checked out their web site and located it ,there is one in my neighborhood so i decided to go and try it out with my family. the very first time i went there was the best. the atmosphere, the different type of menu items, kinda traditional with a modern twist.i felt it was a creative take on food. Although it is still one of my favorite places to go to, but somehow after going there many times it just feels like an "upgraded" Denny's! you know what i mean?
    I checked their menu items health info online, i felt that a big set back for their food is the high calorie content, even in their "healthy" dishes, but at least they listed the info unlike other places.
    i like the muffin that comes with the meal and all that too...their staff is pretty friendly and very familiar with their menu items, i would say, very well trained compare to other restaurants. after saying all that , i am not sure if it is one of my favorite places but i still would go there, at least it is clean, friendly staff and you are guaranteed to have a good meal, although very high in calories :) (but maybe this is me!!)
    i am glad you enjoyed your dinning experiences.
    nice blog!

    ReplyDelete