Monday, May 11, 2009

A Dinner Idea - The continuing story

Well, let's just say it didn't go off as planned. The marinara was a little too thick, to say the least. I decided to make it up Sunday morning, cooled it, set it in the refrigerator for 5 or 6 hours, reheat and add the mushrooms. I even added additional olive oil and a little water! Oh well, there's always next time.

And that is not all! The sauteed eggplant didn't work out either. First of all, the Panko and cheese mixture wouldn't stay put. And when I put the slices in the hot olive oil and started turning them over, most of the coating would fall off! AHHHHH! Okay, like I said before, I am a novice, a "weekend" chef, and this was something new for me. Live and learn, right? The only really good part of the meal was the mushroom angolotti and the side salad I mixed up! Oh, and the wine!

I do have a good idea of a few things that went wrong with the marinara. First, I used 3 tomatoes, not 4. Second, I skipped on peeling them! And instead of using the whole can of paste, I should have cut it in half. As if that weren't enough, the wife said it was too "Hot". So next time I omit the red pepper flakes. (I did use more than a quarter tsp.)

Other changes I made:

I roughly chopped the mushrooms(versus slicing, and only used 2 larger ones)
I used 2 tsp red pepper flakes! (as it simmered and I tasted, it didn't taste too "Hot")
I added an additional tsp of oregano as it was simmering

On the eggplant:
I used all 3 cheeses with the breadcrumbs (Parmigiano reggiano, Asiago, and Romano) about 1/4 cup each
I added additional olive oil, as needed, when sauteing



Questa la vita

No comments:

Post a Comment