Saturday, April 25, 2009

Le Cordon Bleu in Dallas Texas

I went to Le Cordon Bleu School of Culinary Arts in Dallas Texas today. Yes, there is a Le Cordon Bleu in Texas. (Actually there are two, but one does not have the Cordon Bleu name, it is in Austin, as the Texas Culinary Academy.)

I was very impressed, to put it mildly. They have 10 fully functional restaurant style kitchens. Everything from baking bread, cakes, regional cuisine, international, and everything in between. I had the opportunity to see a baking contest in progress, and taste some of the entries. I was treated to a cooking class where the chef prepared a pork stir fry in front of the group, and had the privilege of tasting the finished dish. I have to say it was excellent! The school teaches everything, from basic knife skills to advance culinary skills.
This is something I have wanted for a very long time, but never really had the, for lack of a better word, guts, to try. I know this is what I want to do, with all my heart. I love to cook, and had a passion for it since I was nine years old in my grandmothers’ kitchen. Now I just have to find a way to fund it. I know that they will work with me to get grants and Federal student loans, so that is not an issue. The issue is the balance, because no loan or grant is going to cover the full amount, which is $36,300.00. That may not seem like a lot to some people, but for someone who is just making it from pay check to pay check, it is a major obstacle. It might as well be a million dollars. I admit that I am not “hurting” when it comes to making a living, I do okay. But to come up with that kind of cash is a major thing. But they do say. “Where there is a will there is a way”, and I believe that. I am going to do this, because it is my dream. I want to become a ‘Chef” and live my dream. Yes, it may take me several years to obtain that goal, but no dream or goal worth going after is ever easy or cheap.

My favorite chef, Gordon Ramsay, did not give up, and look where he is today. I am no Gordon Ramsay, nor will I ever be, but I can always strive to be as good.
I am calling the school this week, Monday, and scheduling time to meet with the Financial Advisors to get started. Hopefully I will get funding, get accepted, and begin classes in May. Wish me luck!

Unknown Critic

Check me out on FoodBuzz.com

1 comment:

  1. Wow..how cool is that? Good for you...You must let us know how your classes go...Glad for you!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete